About the Wikipedia project
STS Wiki does not seek to duplicate Wikipedia's role in providing encyclopedia-type articles covering STS-related topics. However, Wikipedia articles are, or should be, written for a general audience. A project is underway to copy Wikipedia content to STS Wiki and expand it with a specialized readership in mind.
To participate, do the following:
- Choose a Wikipedia article to port to STS Wiki. (See below for a list.)
- Place a link to the article in one of the following STS Wiki pages: STS concepts, STS methods, or STS theories, and save the page.
- Click the link to create the new page.
- Copy the Wikipedia content to the new page, and save the page. (Doing so creates a record of the text copied from Wikipedia.)
- Edit the links by adding Wikipedia: (example: [[Wikipedia:relativism]], unless you believe that STS Wiki should contain such an article.
- Important: add the following at the bottom of the page: Some of the text on this page was copied from Wikipedia (see this page's first version in the history tab). This text is licensed under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL).
- If appropriate, edit the Wikipedia article to link back out to the STS article, usually from the External Links section.
As always, we encourage STS Wiki authors to contribute material to Wikipedia for a general readership. The following list notes pages and areas that need work.
- wikipedia:Science and technology studies Needs references, major revision
- wikipedia:Science studies Major revision; needs references
- wikipedia:Social construction of technology Needs references, expansion of discussion of theory
- wikipedia:Actor network theory Needs references, examples, expansion
Note: the categories will get you to lists of historians and philosophers.
- Historians of technology
- Philosophers of technology
- Historians of science
- Historians of mathematics
- Historians of medicine
- wikipedia:Jean Baudrillard
- wikipedia:Henri Bergson
- wikipedia:David Bloor
- wikipedia:Wiebe Bijker--but the page needs clean-up.
- wikipedia:Michel Callon
- wikipedia:Harry Collins
- wikipedia:Jacques Ellul
- Andrew Feenberg --- Missing
- wikipedia:Ludwik Fleck
- wikipedia:Michel Foucault
- wikipedia:Steve Fuller
- wikipedia:Félix Guattari
- wikipedia:Donna Haraway
- wikipedia:Carl Hewitt
- Robert L. Heilbroner
- wikipedia:Thomas P. Hughes
- wikipedia:Sheila Jasanoff --- Missing
- wikipedia:Karin Knorr-Cetina
- wikipedia:Melvin Kranzberg
- wikipedia:Thomas Samuel Kuhn
- wikipedia:Bruno Latour
- wikipedia:John Law (almost nothing)
- wikipedia:Julien Offray de La Mettrie
- wikipedia:Michael Lynch --- Missing
- wikipedia:Jean-François Lyotard
- wikipedia:Donald MacKenzie
- wikipedia:Leo Marx
- wikipedia:Robert K. Merton
- wikipedia:Lewis Mumford
- wikipedia:David F. Noble
- wikipedia:Walter J. Ong
- wikipedia:Roger A. Pielke (Jr)
- wikipedia:Claude Henri de Rouvroy, Comte de Saint-Simon
- wikipedia:Michel Serres
- wikipedia:Merritt Roe Smith --- Missing
- wikipedia:Isabelle Stengers --- Stub
- wikipedia:Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
- wikipedia:Alain Touraine
- wikipedia:Steve Woolgar --- Missing
- wikipedia:Langdon Winner
Who's missing? Must be major figures
- wikipedia:Actor-network theory
- wikipedia:Scientific Community Metaphor
- wikipedia:Second Industrial Revolution
- wikipedia:Social construction of technology
- wikipedia:Technology Democracy
- wikipedia:Technology governance
Departments and centers
- [Center for Science, Technology, and Society] - Santa Clara
- wikipedia:Office of Technology Policy
- wikipedia:Technology Administration
- wikipedia:History of Science Society
- wikipedia:Philosophy of Science Association
- wikipedia:Society for the History of Technology
- wikipedia:Society for Social Studies of Science -- needs page
- wikipedia:Newcomen Society
Related Areas of Scholarly Activity
Lots of problems here: overlap problems, and missing disciplines
- wikipedia:Computer ethics
- wikipedia:Computer supported cooperative work
- wikipedia:History and philosophy of science
- wikipedia:Historiography of science
- wikipedia:History of science
- wikipedia:History of science and technology
- wikipedia:History of technology
- wikipedia:Participatory design
- wikipedia:Philosophy of science
- wikipedia:Philosophy of technology
- wikipedia:Policy appliances
- wikipedia:Science policy
- wikipedia:Science studies
- wikipedia:Sociology of scientific knowledge
- wikipedia:Technological determinism
- wikipedia:Technology transfer
- wikipedia:Theories of technology
- Ellul, Jacques. The Technological Society within Ellul article.
- Haraway, Donna. Primate Visions within Haraway article
- Landes, David S. The Unbound Prometheus separate article
- Kuhn, Thomas S. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions separate article
Page title: Wikipedia project
Revision ID: 4473
Date accessed: Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Stable URL: http://www.stswiki.org/index.php?title=Wikipedia_project
Signed work on this page is licensed by a Creative Commons license that requires attribution and forbids commercial or derivative works.
Unsigned work on this page is licensed by a Creative Commons License that forbids commercial use, but permits redistribution and the creation of derivative works without attribution.
Exception: Text imported from Wikipedia, and any derivative text created from the imported Wikipedia text, is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.